Friday, February 22, 2008

My mind's playing tricks on me

So, it's 5:09 AM. I am at work at a kiddie hospital in SLC punk! And I am starting to hallucinate. I keep hearing a cat meow. I'm pretty sure that we don't allow cats in the hospital, so it must be my tiredness. I'm not complaining. I knew going into the nursing industry that sick people have to cared for throughout the night, on weekends and holidays. If I wanted banker's hours, I am in the wrong profession.


Staying up all hours can be kinda fun. Do you hear cats that aren't there? Do you go home at 7:30 AM and still hear faux alarms binging and dinging? Do you get into deep philosophical conversations with your co-workers at 3 am? We get to talking about random strangeness man. Like why death isn't the worst thing that could happen to someone. Or why is it they young toddlers fall out of bed less than old people. What would you talk about at 3 am? Hmmm?

6 comments:

Peter Piper said...

One time I was driving in East Podunkville about two hours north of Vegas. It was like 2 in the morning and these weird beastly animals kept running in front of my car. But not really.

This other time I stayed up all night for someone's grad night and played faux-craps until 5 am. At 5 am, I am the best craps player in the world. After a few hours of sleep, I realized I had lost faux-everything. With some sleep, I am the worst craps player in the world.

Last one: it's 3 am, I've been up since 6 the previous morning, and they're pumping pitocin into a soon-to-be mother's arm. But all I can see on the drip bag is the word "oxycontin." I freak out and get the nurse and demand to know why oxycontin is being administered when she should be getting pitocin.

All this explains why I do keep bankers hours and went to bed at 10:00 last night.

God bless your desire to stay up and help people.

natalie said...

Really, why is it that toddlers fall out of bed less than the old folks?
I've always wondered what nurses did on their down time in the middle of the night. Very interesting. Having conversations of random strangeness brings me comfort, but I'm crazy so... you know.
I hope you're not still hearing the cats. Cats are evil. No offence to any lover o' cats out there in bloggin world... but they are.

Tice said...

Sally, I'm enjoying your hallucinations. Does that make me a bad person? And I'm glad to hear that nurses keep themselves entertained deep in the night with great philosophical discussions. Almost makes me want to be a nurse. If it weren't for those pesky bodily fluids, I might consider it...

Fascinating stories by Petey and Nat. I agree. Cats are the devil reincarnate. And I'm not meaning offense to those of you who loves you your felines but me's allergic. Plus, the cat types have never been very friendly to me.

And Petey...oxycontin and a pregnant woman? Sounds like a fun party to me.

Grandma Gerri said...

Re the cat, just because something isn't allowed it doesn't mean someone doesn't sneak it in anyway.

Maybe toddlers fall out of bed less because they have more room on the bed because they're alot smaller UMMMMM

Not that you really wanted answers to these questions but because my anal mind wouldn't let them go unanswered

natalie said...

@ Mom-Didn't you just recently fall off the bed?

Grandma Gerri said...

No I slipped on the ice and fell under the car! Duh! Besides I'm not that old contrary to your belief.