Monday, February 18, 2008

My wise(arse?) hair

My Granny had a beard. I remember it clearly. Don't get me wrong, she was the cutest little spit fire you'd ever see. She was a tiny little white haired force-to-be-reckoned-with. With pretty nails. A favorite catch phrase of hers: "ain't she a perdy baby!" You would have loved her.

I remember, as a child, being focused on her old lady beard. A few long white hairs on her chin. I would stare at them in amazement. Little did I know the the beard was genetic.

As a teenager, I developed a black coarse hair on my chin. Like a man's whisker. Boo-hoo you say? Well now I have three of them. How many will I have in another 20 years? I pluck them, I'm ok for about 2 weeks. Then they pop back up again.

Ru noticed the beard this morning. She laughed, then grabbed the tweezers to grrom me. I made her swear on her life that when I'm old and crazy(er) she'll groom me. I'll even put it in my living will if I have to. Something along the lines of: " blah blah blah on a ventilator, blah blah blah eating through a straw, blah blah blah but if said beard gets out of control and is unmanagable, pull the plug.

Dramatic much? A girl's gotta draw a line somewhere.

p.s. I try to find a pic of my Granny. She's one of my guardian angels.

8 comments:

Tice said...

I'm plagued with the same three hairs. I hope Ru will be willing to pluck mine when I'm unable to do so for myself.

Peter Piper said...

Just wait a few years; they're harder to see when they're gray.

natalie said...

Ah yes, the random hair that centers around the Sirmans bunch. Fiel gets one on his forehead. We tweeze it on a month to month basis. It's our bonding time you know.

Trent and Amelia said...

Oh wow, I have heard your granny say that exact phrase more than once in my life. I could actually hear it in her voice as I read it.
That is interesting that I got the granny sirmans gene when it comes to those pesky little hairs. Im not even related to her. Oh wait, I got that from my mom and she made that same exact oath with me and my sister- it is very important to her that we pluck for her when she cant. Too funny.

april said...

i have one hair that tends to grow on my chin; although it's pretty slow growing. to be frank, pat notices it before i do, and it's often when we're out in public and i have to try forever to pluck the thing out without tweezers because now that i know it's there it's bugging the heck out of me.

Grandma Gerri said...

That's nothing I'm pleasantly shocked Nat didn't mention the two hairs that grow out of the mole on my chin. But I don't mind that I have to pluck them every so often since the doctor told me as long as the hairs grow back and I have to pluck them there is no chance there is cancer there.

natalie said...

Oh yea, my Mom has the nasty hair growing from her chin mole. I briefly forgot.

Ru said...

happily