Saturday, February 16, 2008

Oh, the things that must go

  1. While running errands yesterday, I noted a sign at the local Gold's Gym that said "Re-Grand Opening specials". Come on, people. You aren't re-granding you are re-opening. I see the misuse of re- quite often. Is is a graphic design problem? Is it a Utah education problem? Is is proof that the masses failed English?
  2. The frequent use of "honestly" or "to tell you the truth" or "to be completely honest with you..." Are you generally speaking untruths and need to clarify the truths?
  3. And along with that the use of "literally". As in, "I literally had to wait for 4 hours for the waitress to bring my lunch" or "I literally got 3 minutes of sleep last night". If we turn to a dictionary, the defintion of literal is: Avoiding exaggeration, metaphor, or embellishment; factual; prosaic. Clearly the above statements are exaggerated.

3 comments:

Tice said...

Thanks for pointing out these common mishaps in this here English language. Does the over-use of "seriously" bother you too? Or for that matter, what about the mis-use of quotation marks?

natalie said...

Honestly Sally, uhhhh I just lost my train of thought.
"Honestly" is a great song!
I'm an idiot.

april said...

ouch! i say "to tell you the truth" all the time. it actually kind of bugs me that i do it, but yet i still do. maybe, just maybe, this will be the inspiration to change. although i could think of a few other choice words that i should probably stop using before this phrase.