Thursday, February 28, 2008

Vehemently against it

At the SLC punk! kiddie hospital where I work, there was a Life Flight apparel sale/fundraiser. For those of you not familiar with Life Flight, it is an air ambulance service, more on it here. I admire Life Flight. I aspire to perchaps one day be a Life Flight nurse. So, you can imagine my excitement at the prospect of owning my very own Life Flight hoodie. But, alas, to my dismay this year's Life Flight logo contained this slang term, as seen here.

You are probably wondering what the big deal is. Well, I cannot tolerate that slang term. I despise it soooo much that I won't allow it on my blog, not even to mock it. It makes me angry! I just think that anyone who uses that term sounds like an idiot. Always have.

Here's the irony in this annoyance. I use all sorts of strange, possibly annoying to some, slang terms. Some examples: me so tired, mumcused, perchaps, not so much, novella quoi, SLC punk!, it was always thus, I don't rightly recall.......I could go on for days. Then there are the phrases stolen from movies.

What say ye on this annoyance? (There goes another one:)

7 comments:

Tice said...

Oh, mercy. It's always fun to annoy people. Perchaps when people ask me what I do for a living I will say that I'm a mom...24/7/365. :)

Peter Piper said...

Of all the terms to get twisted up about. It's much more benign than, say, bling or crumpin' (why is it always white women I hear saying these?) or tru dat or *gasp* the word lollygaggin'.

I mean, lollygaggin' is just... wow.

Tice said...

@ petey piper- Are ju making fun of me? Hmmm? Hmmm? Why if I knew who you were or where you lived, I might have to give you what for. Consider this a tongue lashing. I use that word lollygaggin' and I use it with pride. Thank you very much.

natalie said...

Ronnie taught me a new slang word tonight at the PBK.
Are you ready?
Spot on, which means perfect.
Example: Yo! See that guy over there? He's spot on yo!
Sharin' the love y'all!

Sally Sirmans (Walker?) said...

@ petey: I did not choose to dislike it, I just do. It's used far too often by 30+ year old white men.

april said...

i'm oblivious to this slang usage and probably use way too many myself. (i also tend to use my own slangs like "spit spot" from mary poppins when i want my kids to leave fast. i know: i'm a nerd!) i'm more likely to get annoyed when people don't know meaning of words.

Trent and Amelia said...

The first thing I thought when I read this was- I hope I havent said that around Sally!
I don't love the word, but it is one that I have used in the past. I hope you dont think less of me...