Friday, January 2, 2009

That Saying



Signs with this saying are everywhere in Utah. EVERYWHERE. They have taunted me for over a year now. Until recently, any time I would see one of these signs I would gag a little and then want to scream "Love stinks!" to anyone within shouting distance.

After some time the anger subsided and I would joke that I should buy one of these signs and hang it prominently in my apartment. Just to confuse people who visit me. Ha! That would be a fun experiment. So, while shopping at The Quilted Bear with Natalie and Amelia last Saturday, I bought the sign.

Then, on Monday, I found out that a friend's husband died suddenly the day after Christmas. My heart broke for her. And I felt like my sign had moved from silly joke to mocking the sanctity of marriage.

After thinking more about the sign I had an epiphany. I am where I am in my life all because two people did fall in love. Well, three actually. Me and Kevin followed by me and Jared. The failure of both marriages has molded me. I have been forced to look seriously at myself and figure out where it all went wrong and how I contributed to the dysfunction in those relationships. It's been a painful but rewarding journey.

So I'll hang the sign. It will be one part epiphany and one part ha! Any thoughts?

7 comments:

Peter Piper said...

Admit it...it'll still be two parts "ha" and one part epiphany.

natalie said...

Uh... Yea. I'm gonna have to agree with PP on this one. This is full of "ha" potential. Love it!!

Tice said...

I shall make you a replication of that sign for you to hang underneath that says, "All because three people fell in lurve" Should I make it in green?

Buffy said...

Sally, you totally crack me up!!! I totally LOVE IT!!!! :)

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

I think you're musings are inspiring. It's good to learn from our mistakes and then move on!

Trent and Amelia said...

it totally fits, and I love it! As a side note, tell me more about this jason ryan from 8th grade...

Sally Sirmans said...

@Amelia: Ah Jason Rhein, my first love. He was adorable really. We were very serious for 14 years old. How did you hear about him, missy?