Friday, June 19, 2009

Fare thee Well Bubbles and Thumbelina

Do you believe in hamster hell?  Because I think I might.  Allow me to start at the beginning.  A month ago we adopted a pair of female hamsters.  This was after much prodding and begging on Laurel's part.  You see, I have a rodent phobia thanks to living in older houses and coming face to face with many a mouse in my time.  Anywho, we went perusing the hamster aisle at the local petco and fell in love with 2 short tailed hamsters.  I shall demonstrate the cuteness with a picture: 



Fast forward to last Friday, nearly a month later. That morning one of the hamsters was hyper, running crazy in the cage. I thought nothing of it. Then Natalie and company came over and Emme was observing the rodent duo playing and wrestling each other. Then they started squeaking (normally they don't make any noise at all). Then Emme, looking concerned, said that one of the hamster was bleeding. Then she whispered that she thought one of them was dead. Indeed it was deceased and the attacker was eating the victim. Say what? Eek! Scream! Traumatized! Terrified! The one hamster is eating the face of the other hamster.  It was like a horror movie.  And so my rodent phobia marches on.....

4 comments:

Tiffani said...

Oh...My...Goodness!!!! I wouldn't let Guido the killer hamster sleep on your pillow! You could wake up dead.....with no lips!

natalie said...

it was so traumatic!!!! All I wanted to do was crawl in a corner and cry. Cry the icky feelings away.

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

Either Chad or Tice told me about this (honestly, I can't remember, scary I know)and I did not believe it. No hampsters in our house, ever!

Sweet Pea said...

That's gross...my friend Ariel had like 10 hamsters and she also said that the Male hamsters eat the young...